Stainless Steel Exhaust!

The Yanmar exhaust mixing elbow is a weak spot for the motor.  It clogs and then performance decreases. At one point I couldn’t rev the motor over 1,500 RPM.  I cleaned it by soaking it in Apple cider vinegar which dissolves the carbon deposits but at some point the buildup is just too great.  So I purchased a stainless steel exhaust from a company called HDI Marine.  It’s a direct swap.  Here are pics of the new one as well as the old one.  Once I removed the old exhaust I looked at the water passage and saw that it was nearly 100% blocked!  Easy job…took about an hour taking my time.  While I was down there I adjusted my packing gland which seemed to be dripping quite a bit.  So a bit of maintenance done!

 

Stainless Steel exhaust for the Yanmar 3YM20 engine.
Stainless Steel exhaust for the Yanmar 3YM20 engine.
View inside the stainless exhaust.
Stainless exhaust installed on the Yanmar engine.
Old Yanmar exhaust.
Corrosion and carbon buildup in Yanmar exhaust.
Old exhaust water port was nearly 90% clogged.

Jib Sleeve is back and it’s Perfect!!

I can’t be happier with the fit of the ATN Jib Sleeve!  Looks good. Fits like a glove and now whatever sail is on the fuller will be protected from the sun, wind and other elements.

I bought the sail cover from defender.com. There were cheaper ones out there but this one looked great and I liked the features. It’s very well thought out and can be tightened around the sail once it’s put up so it doesn’t flap around and rip itself to shreds in a good wind storm. The notes for ordering on the website said to order the jib sleeve in the same size as the luff of the longest sail.  That’s 37′ on Cuajota.  So that’s what I ordered. When it arrived I put it over the jib I had converted to roller furling use from hanks. I didn’t realize this sail is 38′ 3″ at the luff.  So when I did a full hoist on the jib sleeve it was a whopping 28″ too short!  So I contacted Defender and they informed me there were no returns on a custom order but they contacted ATN directly and setup a scenario for me to ship it back to them and they lengthened it 28″ for me.  Awesome customer service and it was about 2 week turnaround. I can’t tell anything was done to it. The fit is spot on!  My only complaint in this whole process is that this sleeve is 39′ 4″. There is no way I would have gotten to that size without ordering, hoisting it and then measuring the difference from the bottom of the sleeve to about an inch above the furler drum. Also ordering the size of my jib luff gave me a sleeve that MAY have covered just the sail, now I have a sleeve that covered the top of the furler mount as well as going all the day to the top of the drum. A much better solution. Now on to getting that jib cut properly. It seems it’s about 8 – 12 inches too long. The full travel of the furler is 37′ 6″.  Thanks to North Sails for lending me the tape measure to get that accurate measurement. Now I know what the luff needs to be. So the sail will go back to North Sails for an adjustment. I’ll also keep an eye out for some big sails to get cut down. Maybe some Carbon or Kevlar!

Jib Sock…Oops!

Ok so I got the custom jib sock from ATN, Inc. I was so excited. This meant that I wouldn’t have to drop the headsail after the very sail. Making it so much more convenient to sail. I put the sail up then put the jib sock over it and realized to my horror it was too short. Not by a few inches but by a whopping 28 inches!!!!

Bottom of Jib Sleeve…28″ Too short!

 

ATN Jib Sleeve in Navy.

 

So a few emails to Defender.com and they put me in touch directly with the manufacturer. He says with confidence that he can fix it. So I packed it up and shipped it to Florida to ATN, inc for them to add 28 inches to the jib sock. My initial impressions of it very positive. Easy to put on. Easy to take off. Well made and it’s great looking. Get the length correct and it’s a GREAT piece of gear. This allows me to use headsails without UV covers and keep them on the furler. I have had two headsails deteriorate due to UV damage. This will protect the sails from UV when not in use. This will also allow me to add sails to to boat and not have to have UV covers on them. I plan on getting a 155 light air sail as well as a good 135-140 racing sail maybe a Mylar or carbon material. I can do used and have the local lift cut them to fit. Stay tuned for more updates!

 

Update 2/4/2016!

Spoke to Etienne at ATN, and he received the Jib Sleep, added 28″ to it and shipped it out the next day.  I should have it back by mid week next week!  Great service!!

 

New Headsail!


Well not exactly a “new” headsail. last year in a wind storm my 155 light air sail got ripped off the furler. I took all the sails I had on the boat to the local North Sail loft and they pulled out the #1 Genoa and said this is a pretty good sail! It was hardly used. The problem was it was not set up for a furler. It also had some minor little rips in leach of the sail. They said, no problem! They converted it to a furler sail by putting a #6 tape on it and did a leach tune up. I have had it on the boat for months but have not hoisted it because there isn’t a UV cover on it and they said keep it furled on the boat with no cover would kill the sail pretty fast. So I was planning on doing done sailing for a few days do I hoisted it an tested it out. WOW! The combo of the fresh sail and the freshly painted bottom made the boat move VERY nicely! The 155 was bigger and this was probably cut down just a tad for the furler tape and leach tune up. Visually it looks like probably a 135-145. It’s a lighter cloth than the 125 on the boat and so in lighter winds it feels pretty good. In 8 knott winds I had the boat up to 4 knots where in the past I resisted sailing in light winds because the boat just didn’t move well. I’m looking into buying a jib sock so I can keep the sail hoisted on the furler but now I take it down during the week and hoist it on the weekends. Next up is to pull out that old spinnaker and get something like the ATN Tacker and fly the spinnaker without the pole. For now though I am not opposed to sailing in the lighter stuff. Before it was 12 knots or more. Now 6-12 is still doable for sailing! Here are a few clips of Cuajota in about 6-8 knots of wind.

 

[vimeo width=”1200″ height=”800″]https://vimeo.com/135406258[/vimeo]


Catalina Video!

I have been working on editing a quick video of the Catalina trip.  Most of the footage is iPhone 5s, with the exception of 3 GoPro clips.  Pretty amazing what you can do with an iPhone and a laptop these days.

 

 

[quicktime]http://johnrhonemedia.com/cuajota/movies/CuajotaCatalina.mov[/quicktime]

Saying goodbye to Catalina

20140508-123016.jpg

What an amazing trip. Jaime (damn can he cook!) grilled tri tip and sausages on the beach at Two Harbors and we laughed and told stories. Woke up this morning took a nice long walk to Catalina Harbor and saw the pacific on the west side of the island. It was amazing. Now we are motoring back and hoping to get some wind so we can open up the sails and sail on home. The forecast is 13 knots so we should have a mellow sail back in. The next trip is a 3 day around the island.

Enjoy some of the images.

20140508-123122.jpg

20140508-123059.jpg

Weather Delay

[fergcorp_cdt]

 

Because of the weather forecast, I have decided that the safety of the crew and the boat are of the utmost  importance and because there is a forecast of gale force winds with gusts of up to 40 mph and waves in the 10 ft area, its not a safe thing to do…so We are delaying the trip for 24 hours at this point and are going to reassess the situation tomorrow.  Here is a quick look at the weather data…

 

Screen Shot 2014-05-05 at 6.40.07 PM

 

Tuesday morning the wind goes from big to wild…then goes to 30 mph with gusts to 40.  Wave height is 9 feet with an 8 second interval.  If we went we would be miserable.  So we can wait a day, its forecast to be 4 feet waves and 15 mph winds.  Much better for sailing.

Countdown to Catalina 2…..

[fergcorp_cdt]

20140505-003604.jpg

Less than 25 hours to go!!

Been prepping the boat for Catalina…

Flares, check.

PFD’s check

First Aid Kit, check

Check engine fluids, check

Fill up tank with Diesel, check

Wash the boat, check

Wax transom (was VERY oxidized!), check

My list of things to do is getting shorter and shorter!  This will be the 3rd trip across the channel for me on Cuajota and may be the most challenging.  Gale force warning will be in effect for part of the trip.  I’ll have my heavy 125 jib up on the boat and will be prepared to reef the main.  The plan is to get across the channel early in the morning, get settled in at Two Harbors and if the weather permits do some sailing in the afternoon.  The next day enjoy a nice breakfast, do some exploring, then head back to the mainland in the afternoon and be back around sunset.  In putting my list together there are a few things I just have never had on the boat.  Flares…never had them, so I got a nice gun and day/night flares.  Spare winch handle…Really?  I only have had ONE working winch handle on the boat for 3 years…being mostly a singlehanded sailor, I can only grind one at a time, but what if I dropped it???  Yeah, better have a backup, better yet, how about use a brand new one and use the current one as a backup.  So got a nice new floating winch handle.  First Aid Kit…had bandaids and things like that, but never a general purpose first aid kit in case someone got hurt.  So added that. Gotta be prepared for anything right?

Countdown to Catalina!

[fergcorp_cdt]

looking-towards-cat-harbor1

Catalina Island Backside

Screen Shot 2014-05-02 at 11.44.01 AM

Planning a 2 day trip with the guys on Cuajota over to Catalina.  The plan is to shoot around to the back side of Catalina and possibly circumnavigate the island then head back to Newport Beach.  Right now I am prepping the boat, and making sure all the safety gear is aboard and up to date, flares, first aid kits, PFD’s, etc…Gonna check the engine fluids and battery levels just to make sure everything is ready to go.  I will be a little short on sails, My 155 was damaged in the wind storm last week so that takes my light air big sail out of teh equation.  The last time we came back from Catalina that sail was up and we FLEW back.  The only sail I will have ready is the 125.  A very nice sail, just not great in light air.  I have a 150 being converted from hanks to a furling genoa but it may not be ready by Tuesday.

Weather….

Looks like there may be some rain, and may be some big wind in the 20 knot range.  Maybe reef the main and run that 125 jib.  Could be a bit of a rough trip…stay tuned!